Friday, June 22, 2012

A Letter to the Editor Regarding No Child Left Behind


Note: Yes, it's long. It's an English assignment with a requirement of at least 900 words. I hope you enjoy it anyway!


To the editor:
     “We're drowning in information and starving for knowledge.” -Rutherford Rogers. No Child Left Behind is a catchy name; it has you imagining groups of children with their teachers looking out for them, making sure they learn everything they need to move to the next level of education. The truth is not so romantic and can actually devastate our society.

     This policy was implemented in my hometown’s schools after I graduated high school. It had been tossed around my school district for years and I heard my parents discussing it which is what brought it to my attention. I didn’t understand it then but the name made me want it. Uninformed as I was, it sounded perfect. It meant not failing a class or being held back. It meant making sure all the kids did well on tests and papers.

     A few years after I graduated, one of my older sisters, Becca told me about how the policy made it difficult for her to give students their earned failing grades. At her middle school, they posted grades online allowing parents and students to see them as soon as tests and assignments were graded. Within minutes of posting grades, Becca would be inundated with emails and phone calls from parents full of arguments like, “You have to pass them eventually, so just pass them now!”

     While I don’t have any specific examples of personal experience, I do have my daily interactions with young people between the ages of six and 25. The children of my friends enter 3rd and 4th grade without being able to read or do math at that level. People I speak to in online forums for parents write like they are still in middle school and cannot express themselves in a way that shows they earned a high school diploma. Teenagers and young adults who hold jobs at my local businesses speak like they learned English just last year when they’ve grown up right here in Utica, NY.

     I have always been one for proper spelling and grammar because it is the language we speak and the way we communicate with those around us. Without good communication you have a breakdown in basic systems including familial and romantic relationships. When faced with ignorance, I try to gently teach the correct way to spell words or express ideas and feelings. Sometimes I’m met with disdain and name-calling and other times I’m met with outright hostility. I’ve asked those hostile people why they choose to remain ignorant and usually I get sarcasm or more hostility. Even intelligent people can look stupid if they haven’t been taught in a way that they are able to learn all that is being given. That applies to more than just English. It applies to knowing the history of the world we live in, the science behind the workings of the world, social studies of the people who populate it and the math we use every day to do simple tasks. The most important thing to remember is that ignorance is not stupidity. Ignorance the absence or lack of knowledge, it is not a name to be called in an argument. Ignorance is the result of an education that caters to laziness like No Child Left Behind.

     One reporter, Sheena Dooley from the Quad City Times in Illinois, talks about how many states are lowering their own academic standards. She reports, “Iowa and Illinois are among numerous states skirting a federal law meant to boost student achievement by lowering the target scores pupils must meet, according to a recently released report. Researchers at the Policy Analysis for California Research, a nonprofit organization, said that lowering standards inflates the number of pupils who pass state tests. Those tests are used to judge the performance of a school, as required under the federal ‘No Child Left Behind Act.’” (Dooley) While allowing states to set their own standards that are approved at a federal level is a step in the right direction, it should go further. Setting the state standard low so that low income, underachieving, urban schools will pass robs other students of higher goals and more education, especially when teachers aren’t allowed to teach more than what is on those tests. Letting specific districts set goals that are approved at state and then federal levels would go even farther to ensuring a more fair assessment of the education that students are receiving and would allow them to tailor their goals based on the needs of local students.

    The same reporter also talks about the gaps in her state’s scores compared to the federal standards, “The study compared fourth-graders' results on state tests with those on the National Assessment for Educational Progress, or NAEP, a federal test used to measure student performance across all states. In Iowa, researchers found gaps of 38 percent and 45 percent in the number of students who passed reading and math, respectively. Illinois mirrored those figures with a 35 percent gap in reading and a 47 percent differential in math.” (Dooley) Illinois is not the only state lowering their standards to make sure their students pass, however. It’s hard not to want to do that when the school’s funding depends on passing those standardized tests, but public school funding is a separate topic. These statistics show that because of lower goals, Illinois and Iowa are graduating students with a lesser education than those from other states with higher goals.

     Upon my recent decision to become an educator myself, I did some research into the subject in order to get a little more involved. I realized the real-life implications are perilous. While my sister refused to give in to those parents, some teachers don’t want to fight parents or don’t have the strength to continue the fight for their students’ education. These teachers will give passing grades to students even though they haven’t learned the material. While this hasn’t affected me personally yet, I definitely foresee this being a problem. Since I am a parent and will be an educator in a few years, I will be actively involved with this issue for the rest of my life.

     Being a parent, I understand the desire to give my child everything. I understand wanting him to have lots of friends, to be accepted and not to be held back or failed in a grade. I know the desire to prevent him from feeling disappointment, unworthiness and other negative feelings. However, his ability to spell common words, do basic math, know the history of the world around him and understand the scientific workings of that world are more important than a few bad feelings. As parents we equip our children with the tools to deal with disappointments and failures and the desire to make their own place in the world. As educators we give them the knowledge to go out into the world to make that place. When you get to college, you get it right or you fail. At your job, you don’t get endless chances to get a task right, you get fired. As a soldier, you get it right or you can die.

     While this issue hasn’t yet affected me personally, I know it will affect me when I start to teach, and when my child starts attending school. You can help prevent or fight against this policy through PTA meetings, contacting the school board and getting together with other parents and teachers who want to end this path towards a “non-education.” No Child Left Behind creates ignorant adults without motivation and entire generations of unskilled workers. Without highly educated people, who has the wherewithal to run a country or further our study of the universe around us? I once thought it sounded like a smart idea, to make sure lessons were taught until every student grasped the concept. Now I know it’s about pushing our youth through years of schooling with a piece of paper at the end that is becoming more and more worthless. An unearned education is not an education at all, merely a 12 year prison sentence to be suffered.

Sincerely,
A Future Educator of Your Children



Works Cited
Sheena Dooley “Report: Iowa, Illinois lower bar on student scores” Students First. 12 January 2006, 25 June 2012 http://www.studentsfirst.us/news/contentview.asp?c=181547

No comments:

Post a Comment