Friday, March 4, 2011

Obscene Behavior

Today at work, a couple of customers (husband and wife) overreacted to them not being able to use a coupon. Yup, a coupon. They got angry, the wife snatched the receipt out of my hand and I offered her a coupon that had printed for her if she “could not snatch it out of my hand.” (Edit: I feel the need to say that before I asked her to NOT snatch her coupon, she had accused me of being rude, of arguing with her just because I felt that I could and of trying to lie to her. I didn't just say something rude right off the bat.) Her husband then said, “Are you a bitch?” So I put his purchase down (toothpaste with a coupon, of course) and said, “That’s it, you don’t get to talk to me that way, you do NOT get to use that language with me.” I walked away to get my store manager and executive assistant manager who were no more than 20 feet away stocking merchandise. This jerk then proceeds to THROW the tube of toothpaste at me!! I just snapped. I turned around and screeched, “What is wrong with you?! Who does that?! OH MY GOD!” I started crying and hyperventilating and headed for the stockroom at the back of the store. The whole time I’m walking I’m crying and saying, “Oh my GOD!” I happened to pass a police officer who followed me into the stock room.
He came in and I was shaking and crying and asked me what happened. I explained to him briefly what had occurred then the EXA (executive assistant manager) came in and I went into more detail (since she would understand the whole coupon fiasco a little more). The officer said, “Unfortunately, other than being a douche, he didn’t commit a crime. But next time you see them, kick ‘em out of the store and call the police. I wish I’d known what happened, I’d’ve followed them out and stopped ‘em and had a little talk with that jerk.” He actually made me feel a little better.
So I went home for my “30 minute” lunch which ended up being an hour. When I came back to work, my co-worker had done a little something to cheer me up. When the jackass threw his toothpaste at me (he hadn’t paid for it, yet) he left his coupon on the counter. So Gabe handed me my Red Bull and said, “Don’t be mad, I was trying to make you laugh.” I looked at the can and he had taken the coupon and taped it to my drink!
image
Oh, it was great! It certainly helped me laugh about it. Yes, I’m still upset. I work retail, I bust my hump so you can have a good experience when you visit the place where “There’s a Way…” When I’m there, there’s a way to find what you need when you need it. There’s a way to have a nice chat. There’s a way to get great photos, personal products and the right medicine for you or your kids. When I’m working, there’s a way to make your day a little easier and a little brighter. But I also make barely more than minimum wage and I have to deal with stressful people (including my coworkers) all day long!
Where does ANYONE get off throwing things at me?? Where does anyone get off calling me names?? Just because I’m a service clerk does not mean you get to treat me like trash and walk all over me. I work very hard to be nice and make your life easier.
Okay, rant over.

2 comments:

  1. On behalf of shoppers everywhere, I apologize for this moron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too nice and would never treat anyone this way. If anyone should never apologize, Alex, it's you! But thank you all the same.

      Delete